Monday, January 28, 2008

Name this pose to impress your friends.

I know everyone's been losing sleep over the Sanskrit name of the pose I've blogblabbing about, but it is called Agnistambhasana, according to the yoga fashion bible, Yoga Journal.

I don't think I've ever heard an instructor call out this pose by that name before. Usually people call it Fire Log Pose, Box, Square or as I think I heard the Diver murmur yesterday morning when I asked him, Hips on Fire. That's a good one. As far as I'm concerned, any name containing the word, "fire", describes this charming little pose rather aptly.
It's perfect for a winter's morning practice.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

fucking hell, that's a mouthful. The name, I mean. Actually, I'm sitting in that pose right now with my laptop on my big slut lap. ahhhhhh, so comfortable.

Arturo said...

Hi Armani
I think Paul Grilley's yin yoga book calls it square. What a complicated sanskrit name, eh?
Cheers,
Arturo

armani said...

Lax: Hm, perhaps there's an opposing pose that's difficult for you. I mean, we don't want your hips too loose. :)

Arturo: Square doesn't quite capture the intensity of that pose for me. Do you have slutty open hips too?

LI Ashtangini said...

I've heard it called 'double pigeon' and 'ankle to knee'. I usually use the 'ankle to knee' name. It's my all-time favorite because it's pretty much the only pose I can do naturally with no warm-up or theatrics. I never knew the sanskrit name. Now I know, thanks!