Thursday, January 24, 2008

Here we go again!

Cripes, I don't want to move again!

I've been following The Diver since he moved here to Seattle from Colorado about five or so years ago. First, he subbed at the Practice Space (a lovely boutique space), then when it folded he moved a few students to his Loft/Studio in Ballard. In honor of his guru Richard Freeman, he called it the Yoga Workshop. Hardly anyone came cuz no one knew his brilliance and since this town is filled to the gills with yoga studios, anyone who was practicing already had a plethora of choices at the nearest street corner. Then he went to Belltown Yoga, where they were teaching hot yoga classes. Not much activity there. So he relocated to Eight Limbs in Capitol Hill. It's one of the largest and busiest studios in Seattle. Nice and stable. The Diver stayed there for a year, if I recall, then decided it was time to make a break. Hence the move to Velocity Dance where we're at now in the very cool Odd Fellows Hall. A huge, beautiful space but with great potential for high-end condos.

We have until July before the lease runs out. The new landlord is reportedly tripling the rent, but he wants people not to hate on him. He is supposed to be very supportive of dance and the arts. At triple the rent.

Oy! I don't know where we'll be next. Apparently there are discussions to finalize a place nearby in the neighborhood, but nothing's firm yet.

I know myself well enough that if I don't go to a studio, I don't do my practice other than maybe a few lazy-bones yin poses. It's too hard to motivate myself to do anything more serious at home. :(

13 comments:

Arturo said...

Hi Armani
I know what you mean about the temptation of landlords to raise rents. It's what drove to the closing of Open Door Yoga in SF's Noe Valley a few years ago. It led to a diaspora of the ashtangis and it's why I started going to Berkeley on Sundays. Now, however, there are about 5 studios with mysore practice schedules around town. I work maily with two teachers. One of them considers RF her main teacher in the West. Cheers, Arturo

Anonymous said...

This is when I wish I had some huge house with expansive hardwood floors - I'd throw my doors open for morning mysore classes and the problem would be solved. I need to win the lottery or something. I didn't know The Diver used to teach here in Ballard - that would explain that "Yoga Workshop in Ballard" sign I saw a few times at 8 limbs.

armani said...

Arturo: Interesting that you go to two teachers. Do they give similar or complementary instruction?

When I've been to SF, I usually go to It's Yoga. Ground zero for crims. But mostly because it's close to my hotel downtown. Will have to ask you for a recommendation when I visit next.

Anonymous said...

Armani, um, have other people 'moved around' like this in your life? I mean, maybe he's telling you something? You can read all about our move on MY BLOG!. Don't worry--he found a spot. We just have to ask him again where it is. And really, I think you need to feel sorry for ME because I really am in danger of doing 2 yin poses and calling it a day--I start my home practice in like two weeks. boo hoo.

Liz said...

Hey Armani, I feel your pain about the studio situation. Here in Austin there are only two studios who offer mysore (and one is led by a mini tyrant who I don't trust). The studio I go to now has a fantastic teacher, but the owner of the studio is fickle and sometimes takes the classes away to see if maybe vinyasa classes will bring in more money. Ashtanga mysore is a hard thing to sell, and if rent is an issue, it's stressful. Not many people have the discipline or attention span to stick with it. Hope everything works out- the building looks super cool. - Liz

armani said...

Lax: Oh yea, so that's why I'm so clingy. Fear of abadonment syndrome!
A few of days ago I talked to The Diver after we chatted and he was less certain that we would have a place to practice. :(

Liz: Thanks for your words of support. Yeah, setting up a mysore studio is not a way to get rich! I guess that's why you have to do the tours, publish a book and sell your cd's.

Arturo said...

Hi Armani
I would add that if you teach yoga you need the support of a significant other - whether another teacher or someone who practices yoga and supports what you do.

Next time you are in town, if it's over a weekend, you could join me to go to Berkley. Or if it's during the week, I can tell you about the shala I go to. There are a lot of choices and many are easy to get to with public transportation. It's Yoga may not officially have a mysore program, even though Larry might be there practicing by himself in the morning.

I now have put the list of places to practice mysore style on my blog on the right hand side. During the week I practice at Yoga Studio SF. Both my teachers know each other and are good friends. They have different styles. One gives more verbal instruction than the other.
Cheers,
Arturo

Anonymous said...

WHAT? What's happening to my universe? What do you mean 'not so certain'??? ARRRRGH! We have to start looking at real estate, friends! We have to get the diver a pool!

BTW, I love how liz uncloaked only yesterday and is now also commenting on

Anonymous said...

html fucked up again, fuck you blogger. anyway, as i was saying, now Liz is commenting on

Anonymous said...

oh forget it. fuck

Anonymous said...

Hey there - just wanted to say I hope this works out for you! Limbo sucks, and I know what it's like to have a fantastic teacher that you want to follow!

armani said...

Pi'ikea: You're so sweet and generous. Please keep buying those lottery tickets. We'll need luck on our side!

Annabellla: Thanks! It's hard to practice non-attachment on this situation. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm not that great at the whole non-attachment thing. I try... it's the best I can do!

: )