Tuesday, January 22, 2008

I missed practice or oh yeah, it's a moon day!

OK, I'm going to make it up tonight by doing some jazzy yin poses.

Actually, I skipped this morning because of a tweak in my right shoulder doing a mod version of dwipada viparita dandasana. Mine doesn't look anywhere as beautiful as Tias Little's. At a workshop some time ago, he recommended that we work up to holding that pose for half an hour. Mmn, sure thing!

Knowing my wrecked body the way I do, I called my friendly neighborhood chiropractor for an appointment and got him to salvage the wreckage before it gets even worse. "C7 (or something like that)," he says. "Gee, that's kind of uncommon. Are you feeling any elbow pain or tingling radiating through your fingers?" "Uh, no." It is a new tweak, but I don't even talk about yoga with him anymore. He's totally old school and thinks yoga is the devil. But he knows why the bodies continue to pile up in his waiting room. Yeah, he's told me to quit a few times when I've shown up with some pretty spectacular injuries, but now, we both know the drill. When I'm wrecked; he fixes me. I know this doesn't healthy. It's probably even more puzzling for people who don't get chiropractors and their Watchtower-like magazines that they have in the treatment rooms.

But I LOVE him. And my massage therapist, acupuncturist, my back-up massage therapist...

Tomorrow, I'm back in the saddle.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude, you need more kapotasana. then no more chiropractor. I haven't been to one of those shaman in 15 years. Thank you skippy J. Hey, how are you going to jazz up yin? put some ACDC on while you're doing it? I won't be in tomorrow because I had to work LATE tonight.

Anonymous said...

oh, and if we were to hold that pose for half an hour, could we watch tv while doing it? I get bored with that shit.

armani said...

I was thinking of turning on some strobe lights while quietly scream in kapotasana.

I forgot to mention in my entry that Nancy Gilgoff said that astanga cured her scoliosis. Wowzers...

Anonymous said...

strobes would be good for kapo. add to the anxiety. I believe ms. g when she says that. ashtanga is the only chiropractor you should need. see you tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

That reminds me of when my piercist stared at this bump on my nose, and said, "How did it get this big so fast?". Sure made my day!!

Am surprised that chiros aren't yoga-friendly. Always thought the complementary medicine people shared same point-of-view.

Anonymous said...

wow, that's really something to like, have your own 'pierceist'.

Anonymous said...

I can vouch for ashtanga and scoliosis - I have a double curve in my spine that is getting better. Really. Slowly, but then, I'm no Nancy Gilgoff! And I was a good lady and took yesterday's moon day off. I'm going to listen to Wise Laksmi and not practice through moon days and ladies hols to see if it works better for me.

Armani, by the way, your blog rocks!

armani said...

Thanks Pi'ikea! Love ya back! That's amazing that ashtanga is helping your back. Proof that yoga heals.

armani said...

I hear ya, Caroline! Why can't we just all get along?

I hope you post a picture of your piercing(s) on your blog. That's smokin' hot bitchin'. (Remind me not to get into an argument with you.)

Arturo said...

Hi Armani
If massages weren't so expensive I would get one weekly. One massage therapist of mine reacts the same way regarding yoga. The massage I received that made me the most bendy was from someone who is also a yoga practitioner, and actually a student of contortionism for the circus. The day after the massage, my hands kept slipping off my toes in Supta Vajrasana, which made my teacher and I laugh. Teacher said she suggested to her massage therapist not to use oil when she gets a massage. But me thinks the oil is very therapeutic. I have my respect for chiropractors, can't think I plan to visit one in this lifetime. Maybe in my next reincarnation.

Hey your graphics are super funny. Tammy Faye! She sang in Miami a few years ago and at the time my cousin was singing in a chorus and got to be on stage with her.

Anonymous said...

Oh, well, squirrel, wish he was my piercist, but he's just my piercist. Come to think of it, wouldn't mind if he was my live-in piercist, but then again, my husband wouldn't be really into that, I suppose. Hohum.

Anonymous said...

Ha, armani, you make me laugh!! Am just doing the not-so-edgy full time mom thing lately, so not exactly "smokin' hot bitchin'", but hey, you never know, one of these days that might change ...

armani said...

Arturo: What kind of massage did you get that made you so bendy? Was it like Thai massage? I'm intrigued. Your cousin meeting Tammy Faye! So cool. If I met her, I would have passed out.

armani said...

Caroline: Are you a cool mom or badass disciplinarian? If I had kids, I would break 'em in early so they wouldn't dare pull any shit.