Sunday, February 10, 2008

Practice Notes: Revisiting Golden Oldies

Warning: Crim pose ahead.

Sunday's led class with the Diver was chill, beginning with a 1/2 hour of sitting. Thankfully, the rest of the class was just as groovy; it was low on lunges (that's cuz Lax, Pi'ikea and Carl weren't there. Missed ya guys!). We basically ran through most of the standing poses, then second up to ardha matsyendrasana. He threw a little nauli somewhere early on.

I have to say that I had one incredible adjustment that peeled my hips and back open like a sardine can. We were in one-legged downward dog with hips squared and one leg up, just like Elsie here with her awesome leg warmers. Then when we opened our hips and reached the raised leg even higher, the Diver came by, helped open my outer hip and rolled out my thigh, thereby creating a higher lift. Cool!

The second part of the pose involved bending the raised knee, which opened me up even more. This reminds me of a similar pose that a former non-ashtanga yoga instructor (the most difficult yoga class you'll ever take, guaranteed) called, "boy dog." But hey, I digress.

I had totally forgotten about this adjustment since the pose isn't in The Syllabus and I don't do it a lot. I suppose I could also do this against the wall as I'm working on my much-dreaded hamunasana, but today's assist was wonderful! I could actually relax into the pose and feel where it's supposed to go.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Missed you and the class this morning, too! My family decided that since I got to go to Mysore practice for FOUR DAYS this week, I needed to home practice on Sunday (no babysitting available). If I'm really lucky, I'll be able to come in Monday morning again, and then it's Sundays only again for a while (and more luuuunges).

Anonymous said...

fucking hell, i can't believe that i missed this class. No lunges? Not fair! Did you do kapotasana? I mean, I'm the only one that can do that and I wasn't there! Not fair!

Anonymous said...

oh, and the pose you have pictured is a prime varting opportunity during the right time in my cycle (yeah, sorry, you DO have to hear about this on your blog). I mean, today, I probably wouldn't have ventured to lift a leg because of the blast that would have been created.

armani said...

Pi'ikea: Ditch the family and come back! Sorry that they are so needy. Babies are so selfish. I'm hubby would love to spend more bonding time with her.

armani said...

*sure*

armani said...

Lax: Sorry but we skipped Kapo and Supta Vajayjay. I'm sure next time the Diver will ask you to demo the pose.

And the varting thing, well, maybe we better rename that pose. Does it also ward off bears and potential attackers? How about Can o' Air, or Sound Blaster?

armani said...

Lax: Hm, you might need to work out a hand signal or say the code word if the Diver saunters over to adjust you in this pose. When you come back.

BTW, we're doing a lot of shit with our eyes closed, so you wouldn't want him to creep up and surprise you.

Anonymous said...

eyes closed; hmmm. I think we could call that pose 'the vacuum', because it causes about a gallon of air to be sucked in. the noisy part comes later

Anonymous said...

Supta vajayjay.......

HA!

Hi to everyone from Cali!

Arturo said...

Hi Armani
I'm not exactly picturing boy dog, is it going from the one footed asana demoed here to urdvha danurasana?
Hanumanasana. A guy who could do it in Tampa said it helped him to do it daily. But most of us struggle with it. I've stopped doing it during the standing sequence.
Cheers,
Arturo

Anonymous said...

Armani: Babies ARE selfish. Feed me! Change my diaper! Cuddle me! Was I this bad when I was a baby? (Actually, my mother essentially forgot to feed me and I ended up in the hospital, but that's a whole other story) My family's not so bad - they just don't get yoga practice like y'all do.

armani said...

Pi'ikea: Yikes, you were a neglected child! Looks like survived and flourished despite this setback.

armani said...

Arturo: The crazy vinyasa teacher I had believed to working a body part to the point of failure.

Basically, boy dog was part of a downward dog sequence. It went basically from downward dog, lift one leg up with sq hips, then open hip and raise leg, back to one leg up, then bend leg making it parallel to floor (boy dog taking a piss), then straighten and extend leg still parallel to floor, then bring leg back to body and shoot foot to the left side of your body and back foot slides back rin a wacky pose similar to pigeon except the front leg is straight.

armani said...

Annabella: I hope you found time to go to the Barneys warehouse sale in a Santa Monica hangar! Perfect timing.

Anonymous said...

um, armani, the crazy yoga teacher you have RIGHT NOW believes in working a body part to the point of failure. See: ab work, handstand work, fucking push ups, etc

armani said...

Lax: Sometimes I wonder if he's channeling you know who. He's even recently been advertising at our space. Hm, memories!

Anonymous said...

i actually don't know who--i'm kind of clueless. give me a hint

armani said...

Go SLO: Strengthen, lengthen and open.