Sunday, August 24, 2008

Burning Man: Reno

Landed in Reno late Saturday afternoon. At this time, only the organizers and a few members of each camp are allowed admission to the playa, which is more than 100 miles north of Reno. They officially open on Monday after midnight. That's fine with me. I've been spending most of my time running around gathering food and other supplies to take up with me.

As expected, everyone else is doing the same thing. They're all scouring the shelves at Trader Joes, Whole Foods and the drug stores.

Had to make a last minute change to my plans. Hertz will not allow anyone to drive their rental cars off paved roads, which means I can't drive up to Burning Man in one of their cars. People do it, but I don't want to take the risk. Besides, I won't need the car once I'm there. If Hertz suspects that you've visited Burning Man, they will also add a $175 cleaning fee to get rid of the pervasive fine dust that will coat the insides of the car. Early reports are that it is very windy and dusty.

So I'm returning the car and hitching a ride from the rideshare location at Whole Foods tomorrow.

Wish me luck in flagging down a nice, roomy RV with air-conditioning and interesting people.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have an awesome time! Hope it's life changing and magical in all kinds of ways.

Samyama Mama said...

I've always wanted to go to Burning Man. I almost convinced my husband 6 years ago ... almost. I'm going to live vicariously through you!!

Carl said...

We should rustle up a yoga Burning Man posse for next year.

Samyama Mama said...

Oooh, that would be fun, Carl!

armani said...

Thanks you guys! Sending you my hippiest love from the Playa! I went to a yoga class this morning. Total yin. Need some kick ass ashtanga here!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.