Thursday, May 29, 2008

The End is Near

We don't usually get too heavy around here, but as the old saying goes, the only constant is change.

For the past few days, the building we're in has been abuzz with activity. There's draped plastic in the hallways. As early as 6 am, construction workers are tromping around, dropping things and starting in on their hammering and sawing two floors above our little yoga space. Somewhere outside our window, it sounds like there is a mini-excavator at work hauling dirt around. I suppose we've had it good up until now, but geez, it truly is a supreme test of focus and patience. I don't how long much longer we'll be in here. In my previous post in January, I had already lamented the fact that we will become yoga vagabonds soon, because the new owner has converted the building, which housed a vibrant collection of dance and arts organizations, into condos and more profitable renters. As far as I know, nothing is firmed up after July. The Diver is still deciding.

You'll also recall that I noted that the Other Yoga studio in town is up for sale.

Earlier this week, Laksmi announced that she has quit blogging. WTF?

Today, I saw Carl in savasavana with a sandbag draped over his face. WTF?

I was annoyed by this morning's New York Times article. People crying about moving to a new city and not being able to find an advanced yoga class. Hello? Self-practice ashtanga, anyone? Have you finished all SIX series at home already?

I swear the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

All we need now is an earthquake in Seattle to make the Apocalypse totally complete.

When the going gets tough, the tough get a box of Theo's chocolates. The instore chocolate confections are the best and freshest ever. Right up there with La Maison du Chocolat, Recchiuti Confections and Thomas Haas Fine Chocolates. Really. Trust.

Oh, and in keeping with the theme, photo credit goes to yogafortheconstructionworker.com. It's yoga "with your boots on" and emphasizes "job site awareness and wisdom."

I'm done.

11 comments:

Arturo said...

Hi Armani
I like your attitude about chocolates.
Part of the problem reported in the article is the branding of "American yoga" by big yoga studios and the empire organization behind it, and the age of these practitioners complaining. I wonder how old the author of the article is and whether the author practices yoga, or just thought it was a worthwhile story to write about.

Hope y'all find a new practice place.
Cheers,
Arturo

Anonymous said...

Wow, I didn't realize you could be so dramatic.

Anonymous said...

Mercury retrograde... decisions reverse themselves. Laksmi might be back, one of these days... : )

I read the NYT article too and was a little surprised. I'm crazy about Jasmine Tarkeshi (sp?) but the interesting thing about her shala is, I'd TAKE the super advanced classes IF they were offered at a decent time. Most people work, so to throw a class in in the middle of the day, perpetuates the situation.

Samyama Mama said...

The Diver told me about that article - does anyone have a link to it?

Armani, you can come practice at my house any morning and listen to ongoing baby noises through practice. It really has made my focus better! She always waits until I'm, say, dropping back and then makes a really loud noise when I'm halfway down. Scares the crap outta me sometimes. But I haven't fallen on my head yet!

Anonymous said...

Here's the link to the New York Times article.

Anonymous said...

there is so much uproar about my non-blogging. I might help you all out...

Anonymous said...

oh, and pi'ikea, if we practiced at your house, there would be baby noises and varting...

armani said...

Hey, everybody: Thanks for your comments. I'm feeling the love from cybershala mates!

Carl said...

Senor Submersible probably would say you need to work more on focusing and avoiding all that distraction.

Also, I believe the world actually is going to hell in a dumptruck. Or at least a mid-sized trailer. Long gone are the days when hellward handbaskets accomplished much carrying.

Laksmi, I feel very strongly that you should delete your old blog and start anew as the Posing Popcorn Princess.

The sandbag is quite the trick for certain things.

Anonymous said...

carl, I can't delete my blog. it's a work of art.

armani said...

Carl: Avoidance takes too much energy. Best to have an awareness of what's going on around you and let it pass through you. Sort of like the varts some yoginis deal with.