Monday, April 7, 2008

One of the hardest poses ever

I think it was one of my old, sadistic Iyengar teachers who said that savasana was the hardest pose EVAH.
I have to admit it is pretty difficult for me too, because I hover so closely between sleep and consciousness during the day anyway. And when I get to savasana after an exhausting practice, I just conk out.
At the end of this morning's practice I decided to go for it. I was so tired from the weekend of activities; I didn't even have a catch-up nap on Saturday to get me through the coming week. So after doing my half 2s, I pulled out my Hello Kitty lucky eye pillow (made by ever craft-y Laksmi) and immediately flaked out for 15 minutes. Just what I needed.
Lax came for her first mysore in a long time (Yay!). She even noticed that I took this unusual rest and mentioned that I snored. Not too loud, but loud enough. Yeah, I'm a snorer. Sorry! I apologize to everyone who's ever been in a class with me and had to endure it, past, present and future.
At least I didn't pop a boner like the dude in the pic. Photo credits go to Bindu Magazine.

13 comments:

Ursula said...

Years I omitted savasana. I thought I don't need it.

Now I do it and I profit so much from it. Even after an intensive practice I realize that my face needs to relax. To let go. That's what this pose tells me - let go, be in the present moment.

Now I like the pose.

I use my meditation clock when I do it. I give this pose 5 minutes.

Cheers.

Ursula

Anonymous said...

I think five minutes is the minimum! Not that I can stay there really. I'm okay if it's a led environment but on my own I have a tendency to get very very restless!

Ursula said...

Hi annabella,

oh, you are so right, 5 min is the minimum, but you know I do not have much time. :)

Carl said...

It's not just yoga gurus that think shavasana is challenging. Lying down is a standard Taoist meditation position too and it's considered to be very advanced due to the difficulty of keeping one's mind steady, without falling asleep.

suzie said...

Why is it that Iyengar-influenced teachers are bossy control freaks? That's also been my experience.

suzie

armani said...

Ursula, Annabella & Carl: There is an elusive and appealing quality of this pose that makes it so interesting. You're relaxed yet your mind is going for a psychelic ride.

On a side note, I like it when the teacher says, "Take rest!" That tells me we're not doing sivasana, but having nappy time.

Suzie: Yeah, you said it. A lot of these folks seem to drain the all the life and vitality that yoga has to offer. Maybe that has to do with his supreme grumpyness: BKSI. My favorite quote from him or one of his his disciples: "If I had a pose like that, I'd kill myself!"

Samyama Mama said...

Did BKSI really say that?!? I remember reading something a long time ago about Elizabeth Hurley saying that if she had hips as wide as Marilyn Monroe's were, that she'd kill herself. Personally, I'd probably kill myself if I were Elizabeth Hurley. But I digress.

alfia said...

I think I am a borderline narcoleptic, so it is not a problem for me to fall asleep anywhere, anytime, in any position and in anybody's presence. But ashtanga wires me up and I do not fall asleep in Savasana. Not even once, which is quite amazing for me. And I adore Savasana!

Anonymous said...

Alfia, me too borderline narcoleptic!

Maybe next time I savasana I can try to stay there the full five minutes and see what happens. If I can do it I shall report back.

Anonymous said...

yeah, there was no boner, just that solid package. (blush! I never look THERE!). Hey, I was really super proud of you for taking a long sivasana. You always have a quick little lie down, and I always feel sorry for you. Sivasana is the only reason I do yoga.

Anonymous said...

where were you? i brought something back for you...

armani said...

i can't keep up with your hilarious comments!

Lax, i was in Van again this weekend.

Anonymous said...

well where are you now???? I must give you this gift! (it's really not that great, but I DID think of you)