Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Crowded house

There were about 14 students in mysore this morning, the most I've witnessed in a long time.

Now that there is light early in the morning, I think people are starting to return to their practices. At first I thought it was the beginning of an exodus of students from The Other Studio that is currently on the selling block, but there were only two possible refugees that I noticed (Carl being one of them). The rest of the gang were regulars and semi-regulars.

I'm really hoping that the Diver will have more students making the switch and coming to our shala, but as Pi'ikea mentioned, there's a part of me that is selfish and wants to keep the class sizes small enough for focused attention on ME, ME, ME!

It's funny that I used to fear being the only one in class when I first started going to his classes. I wasn't used to getting so many intense adjustments. Now, I want as much instruction as I can get. Often, it's just one or two adjustments he does on any given day.

This video above is kinda cool. I know, models doing yoga. Try not to hate them for being so twisty and beautiful. Agustin's not too much like a mannequin though and his accent makes him seem so sweet.

This morning the Diver did a similar backbending partner yoga pose with me that opened up my chest and upper back tremendously. He didn't twirl me around and it wasn't so intimate, but it was good.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

funny, he usually twirls people just before he throws them through the flaming hoop. Was the flaming hoop set up today?

Anonymous said...

The "other studio" is on the selling block? Hmmm, I've only been there when S was teaching, but I liked it a lot. A bit hot, but very nice energy.

Carl said...

Troy hasn't reached his capacity for assisting. For one thing, he could maybe cut back on all the acro-yoga time he spends, which I notice is predominately oriented towards the ladies. Not that there's anything wrong with picking up ladies and twisting them and playing with them. I'd do that too if I were a yoga teacher. But he could spend maybe half that time doing lots of assists elsewhere.

And if Troy should become completely tapped out for time there's no reason folks can assist one another democratically. That wouldn't really fly at AYS but Troy seems like he'd be amenable to that kind of stuff.

That space easily will accomodate 50 or 60 people comfortably.

Carl said...

...no reason folks can't...

armani said...

Laks: Yes, and we balanced red balls on our noses for mackarel treats.

Rick: Here's the listing of the shala (Sorry I've forgotten how to embed):

http://www.windermere.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Listing.ListingDetail&ListingID=19719218

Carl: The Diver gets into a groove where everyone will get one particular adjustment. A while ago, it was getting people deeper in forward bends by having people grab his wrists as they lean far forward. Now it seems to be acro-yoga backbends.

I know he's definitely open to others assisting in supta vajrasana. He's told me and some others. He's also encouraged some folks in the past who were not practicing to observe and train to adjust under his tutelage.

Anonymous said...

i think he's just really looking for a different way to look at everyone's ass.

Anonymous said...

and carl, i think you need to spend a little more time at Acme Yoga before you go saying things like he prefers to assist the ladies. I mean, David was well known for his harem. No further comment. The Diver is an equal opportunity adjuster--I've taken notes.

Arturo said...

Hi Armani
Frankly, you really have to be really thin to be the person being twirled around like that. And badda konasana, uppa vista konasana while upside down, aloft? Hehe. Are all the twists necessary? The assist in upward bow does look yummy.

The people assisting others, for more than just supta vajrasana, when there is a teacher present, is a bit too democratic IMO.

Cheers,
Arturo

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link. I wonder what their plans are...

I'll drop in with Troy the next time I'm in Seattle.