Sunday, April 6, 2008

Oh yes, where did we last leave off?

I got distracted with other posts and forgot to continue posting pics from my trip.

Well, this is a nice one (not mine, from http://www.tallestbuildingoftheworld.com/). From the safari near Johannesburg, S.A. we flew 10 hours to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia for an overnight stop before going to Bali. We had a chance to walk around and check out these 88-storey twin towers. The observation deck which joins the two is on the 41st floor. This sky bridge does feel like a bit of a sky walk as you take in the near 360 view degree view. On ground level there is a high-end shopping mall (that made me happy even though I didn't buy anything) and also a symphony hall (which made my partner very happy but we ended up not going).

OK, so people there seem to very proud of this building, but I know there will be comments by architectual critics from Lax's blog. Have at it!

I have to mention that the KL airport has got to be one of the best in the world. Has anyone else been there? It's so smartly laid out and the service is unbelievably amazing and efficient. When we arrived, we took a half-hour train ride that takes you into central area. When we got out at the train station, there were young porters who enthusiastically offer to help you to get a cab or whatever. We were prepared to schlep our bags and stumble our way over to Le Meridien Hotel, thinking we would have to grab a cab. But instead he said it was just next door to the station and walked over with us right up to the registation desk with our luggage cart. Boy, it's this kind of attention and service that is so welcoming after a long plane ride.

Here's a view of the water park below:















Here are some other quick pics:


The main drag in Chinatown where you can get fake watches, "Louis Vuitton" handbags and other fun things.




Some random graffiti on the wall of a train station.









_________________________________________

Back to yoga. I was practising this Sunday morning at Ashtanga Yoga Vancouver. It got pretty crowded in that little space, but it was nice and warm which opened up my body considerably. There were two fellows adjusting. I didn't get anything heavy duty, which is what I would have preferred anyway. They don't know me; I don't know them. That last thing I need is someone to sit on me in supta kurmasana and shred the piriformis muscle in the right hip area (which is what someone did to me in NY a few years ago). But I'm okay now, since I've been able to relearn how to walk. ;)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't let anyone sit on me in Supta K - not worth it. Your photos are terrific... you are making me want to go on vacation now!!!!!

Carl said...

Cool towers but they're NOTHING compared to our fabulous downtown library.

Samyama Mama said...

Oh, Carl. Quit being such a library whore. Aren't you supposed to be working?

Armani, I wondered where you were yesterday! Sometime I'll get up to Vancouver to try AYV out.

Arturo said...

Hi Armani
The Petronas Towers, yes. The bathrooms are designed so that the core of the building protects them from being oriented to Mecca. The beautiful outside shape is based on an islamic motif. I imagine the lobby is esquisitely detailed, as are all of Pelli's lobbies. Noticed I haven't critiqued it, just been informational.
Cheers,
Arturo

sparklepony said...

I LOVE the train station graffiti.

Anonymous said...

i want the name sparklepony.