Monday, June 2, 2008

Finding beauty in destruction


After yoga class yesterday morning, a bunch of us ventured up to the fourth floor to see what all the banging, drilling and stomping around the past week had produced.




It was a bit spooky to see the trashed walls, drywall dust and lunch remnants on the floor. But since Laksmi (Velma), Pi'ikea (Daphne), Mr. Hands (Shaggy) were with me (Freddie), we could explore the space together and be ready to take down anyone with our Warrior I's if they questioned why we were there. Aigo, in absentia, was Scooby.





Basically, the construction workers had been gutting the whole floor, getting ready to convert it into some fancy work spaces and studios with 15-foot ceilings. I had heard that high-end condos were also planned, but the official website of the builder doesn't seem to state this.



This picture is a close-up of the kind of structural supports they built in 1908. Looks like it could withstand an earthquake. There's also a cute little radiator that Pi'ikea/Daphne wanted to take home. (Pi': They unhooked them today. Help yourself quick!)







Nearby we found what remained of the Chamber Theater, which served as a performance venue for many a ballroom dance in its day, I'm sure. We joked how the stage would make an awesome kitchen and dining room.




This is all a bit tragic to see. (More drama, Rick!) Seattle is a relatively young city that doesn't have a lot of historical buildings. The new owner seems to be committed to preserving its historical quality and bringing up to current standards. But it's still sad to know that many arts and community organizations (and one particular yoga shala!) will be losing a great space in the heart of Capitol Hill.

Bitter doesn't seem to describe a lot of comments locals have been making in the Alternative Weekly. And check out this heartfelt letter from one of the major tenants who is successful enough to be able to afford the new rents, but still very concerned about what they're doing. On her webpage, you'll also see an archival photo that shows some lawn and a few park benches in front of the building. Suffice to say, it ain't there anymore.



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

am I the fcuking dorky one with the glasses? that's not fair.

Anonymous said...

It is tragic that Capitol Hill is losing its bohemian spirit. When I was in Seattle last year, I really liked the neighborhood. Reminded me of Berkeley and also the East Village.

I think all the ashtangis will end up practicing in Laksmi's house.

Carl said...

When I wandered around up there on Sunday, I scoped a couple big white, spherical light fixtures I thought I should bring home with me. I passed on them though, thinking maybe they're to be salvaged or reused.

Those comments on the Oddfellows Slog entry are pretty colorful. They're entertaining like Laksmi's blog used to be, way back when she still had a blog. Times are changing though!

Anonymous said...

yes, everyone can come to my house to practice. then i will blog about you. you have all become boring, which is why i made my blog a 'periodical'.

armani said...

Hey, Guys: Thanks for your comments.

Lax: I thought you'd want to be the smart one!

Why don't we get Rick to buy a studio loft for us and then he can have a place to practice when he visits? Sounds reasonable to me. :)

Anonymous said...

Heh - as long as I get to give out poses, and {cough} adjust whomever I want.

Anonymous said...

well, armani, it's not like anyone ever admired the smart one. I mean, I was sitting there thinking, 'i hate her. she's such a dumpy asshole'. but i hated that whole show. scuked.

armani said...

Lax: Would you rather be pretty but slutty? Someone needs a mula bandha check-up. I think Rick has offered to help.